It’s the weekend, and it’s hot!! So who wants to turn on a hot oven and make their house warmer? Not me! So one of my favorite salads will be on the menu tonight, it’s great tasting as well as cool and refreshing….
Cucumber and Tomato Salad
– 3 cucumbers sliced about 1/4-inch thick
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
– 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar (I use Splenda)
– 3 large ripe tomatoes
– 2 tablespoons red onion, minced
– 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
– 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbled reduced fat feta
– Put the sliced cucumbers in a large bowl, sprinkle them with the salt, then set them aside for 30 minutes. Spread the cucumbers out on a double layer of paper towels, pat them dry, then put them back in the dried bowl.
– Whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, mustard, and sugar in a small bowl, then pour the dressing over the cucumbers and toss until the slices are evenly coated. Cover the mixture and place it in the refrigerator.
– Half each tomato and scoop out the seeds. Coarsely chop the tomatoes into large chunks, then add them to the cucumbers, along with the onion, parsley, and pepper. Toss the ingredients to blend them evenly. Transfer the salad to a serving dish and top it generously with the feta.
Nutritional Information : Per serving (1 cup): Calories 125, Total Fat 9 g (13% DV), Saturated Fat 3 g (14% DV), Cholesterol 13 mg (4% DV), Sodium 285 mg (12% DV), Total Carbohydrate 9 g (3% DV), Fiber 2 g (9% DV), Sugars 6 g, Protein 4 g (8% DV), Vitamin A (24% DV), Vitamin C (34% DV) (Percent daily values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.)
July 23, 2011 – 10:43 AM - | Posted in Recipes | 9 Comments »