The Big Island Steak Bowl
Recipe via Terra’s Kitchen
2 Servings; 560 Calories
Active Time: 30 mins; Total Time: 30 mins
Excellent Source of: Protein, Vitamin C and Iron
Good Source of: Fiber
Ingredients / Equipment
10 oz Skirt Steak
20 oz Pineapple Spears
2.25 oz Sliced Scallion
5 oz Brown Rice
1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
.3 oz Sesame Oil
.2 oz Brown Sugar
¼ teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
2 teaspoons Olive Oil
– Preheat oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside. Zest half the lime. Cut lime in half.
– In a small saucepan over high heat, bring 1 and ¼ cups water and ¼ teaspoon salt to a boil. Stir in rice and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
– Turn off heat and let sit, covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and gently stir in sesame oil, zest, juice from half a lime, all except 1 tablespoon of the scallions. Cover and set aside.
Broil Pineapple – While cooking rice, place pineapple in a single layer on a foil lined baking sheet and brush tops with 1 teaspoon oil. Lightly sprinkle with salt. Broil until charred in places (about 15 minutes).
Seasoning Pineapple – Remove pineapple from oven and sprinkle with the remaining brown sugar and as much of the red pepper flake as you can handle. Set aside.
Cook Steak – Rub a grill pan with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and place over high heat.
In a small bowl, combine half of the soy sauce, half of the brown sugar and ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Rub mixture over steak.
– When grill starts to smoke, add steaks and cook to medium rare, turning once (3-4 minutes per side).
– Remove to a plate and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice against the grain.
*To Serve: Divide rice and pineapple between two bowls. Top with sliced steak. Squeeze lime juice over and garnish with remaining scallion and crushed red pepper (optional).
June 22, 2016 – 10:44 AM - | Posted in recipes | 1 Comment »